Acne, blemishes and clogged pores
👉🏼 Find out if you have Oily Skin Here
👉🏼 Find out if you have Sensitive Skin Here
Major Causes of Acne and Clogged Pores to Watch For
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Diet (sugar, processed food, or allergy to food)
- Skin irritation from dirty hands, pillow, blanket, shaving razor etc.
- Skin irritation from skincare products
- Stress and/or lack of sleep
- Genetic predisposition
About Clogged Pores
Clogged pores are mostly because of sebum (your natural skin oil) accumulating on skin pores. It could be from either excessive sebum production or thickened sebum or both.
In any case, clogged pores allow bad bacteria to proliferate, causing inflammation and thus breakouts, blemishes and acne.
Prevention Measures - Acne and Blemishes
- Tackle the problem at the source(s), eliminate or decrease the occasions: change skincare products; check how many times you are unnecessarily touching your face, try not to touch your face; change pillows, blankets (surprisingly many cases of blemishes are due to these).
- Overcleansing can cause acne and clogged pores. If you suspect that you are overcleansing, limit cleansing to less than twice per day; try mild non-foaming non-fragranced cleanser.
- Healthier diet can help; reduce sugar, saturated fats, and may be dairy.
- Exercise and move more to manage stress and sleep.
- Wearing sunscreen is crucial, especially to minimize scars or post-blemish pigmentation.
- For blemishes and acne care, look for skincare products with the following ingredients:
- Salicylic acid: it can be used every other day, but not with retinol. Instead, you can use Willow Bark Extract (everyday) as a more accommodating alternative.
- Azelaic acid
- Also, good humectant (hyaluronic acid, tremella, panthenol) is essential when having retinol or salicylic acid in the formulation.
Do not overcleanse. You do not need to be squeaky clean. In fact, it could work against you. Once you overcleanse, you wipe out both the good and the bad bacteria. And your skin now is a better place for bad bacteria to repopulate because overcleansing disrupted your skin barrier, surface pH and other natural defense systems as well.
Do not be afraid to use oil for acne and clogged pore. For clogged pores, use jojoba oil to help regulate sebum production.
Do not touch or pick the inflamed spots. It never helps healing. And more importantly, it will leave post-blemish pigmentation.
Habitually use sunscreen and moisturizer to prevent blemishes and clogged pore. Use Celoui Sports (coming up soon)!
DISCLAIMER: Statements here are not medical advice. This is not meant to replace the word of a doctor nor to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. Please consult your physician before using any products or ingredients listed here if you have any prior medical conditions or are pregnant.